Saturday, April 26, 2014

Grain-free Sandwich Bread

My hunt for a sandwich Bread that is gluten/yeast & refined sugar free has finally come to an end. The original recipe is from: nourishedandnurtured.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/grain-free-sandwich-bread-gaps-primal.html
I have slightly modified the recipe and added apples and made it dairy free by substituting Ghee for butter (Ghee is clarified butter where the sugar and milk proteins in butter are removed thus making it lactose free). I have yet to make a sandwich using this bread LOL as I used this bread to satisfy my french toast cravings. The texture of this bread is soft and moist, almost...like a cake, OH that makes me want to experiment and modify the recipe further for a cake recipe (the crazy cake girl in me always comes out, sorry). 

 
Grain-Free Sandwich Bread
Yield: 1 loaf
2/3 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup crispy almond flour
1/2 cup plus 2 Tb butter [I used same amount in Ghee]
8 eggs
1 Tb honey [I used 100% raw/unpasteurized honey]
1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 Apple, diced
-Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
-Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Turn off heat and allow to cool a bit. Then stir in the honey and vinegar.
-Break the eggs into a medium bowl. Add the salt, baking soda, almond flour, and butter mixture. Mix together with an immersion blender or hand mixer.
-Using the mixer, mix the coconut flour into the other ingredients very well. There is no worry of over-mixing this recipe since there is no gluten in it.
-Pour the batter into a well-buttered loaf pan. I used a 9X5 loaf pan.
-Bake for 60 minutes. It will be done when it is set in the middle (do the toothpick test)
-Let cool for about 15-20 minutes, and then use a spatula or knife to go around the edges. Invert the pan and move the bread to a cooling rack. Cool completely.
-Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Store in the fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment